Updated BCS COVID information
BCS Updated COVID Information/Protocols
If any student or staff member experiences COVID symptoms, they should stay home until symptom free. (See COVID symptoms below)
Masks continue to be required in schools at this time.
Positive COVID Test
- Students or school staff members who test positive for COVID-19 must isolate at home for at least 5 days.
- A student or school staff member may be allowed to return to school after 5 day only if:
- May be asked to complete a 10-day isolation at home if the school nurse in consultation with the school physician and school administration deem the student or staff member too symptomatic to return after 5 days.
- During this period, such students will not be participating in physical education classes or sports.
- They have not had a fever for 24 hours (without medicine);
- Their symptoms have resolved;
- They can wear a tight-fitting mask. A well-fitting mask will be required for an additional 5 days after return to school.
- Immune compromised students or school staff are expected to isolate for the full 10 days.
- Any household member(s) of the person positive with COVID, who is not fully vaccinated or within a 90-day window of previously testing positive, must quarantine for 10 days and cannot attend school.
NYS will no longer be completing contact tracing. An honor system is now in place for individuals to isolate if they test positive and quarantine if they are a contact to a person who has tested positive for COVID. (Individuals who test positive for COVID are responsible for informing contacts.) NYS has posted Affirmation of Quarantine and Affirmation of Isolation forms for individuals to print and submit when warranted.
Per the DOH, schools can choose to continue to contact trace. If a student or staff member is concerned that they may have COVID, BCS will provide a rapid home antigen test to the individual.
Students and staff may test to stay in school if they are identified as a school contact to a positive COVID case. Please review the BCS Test to Stay Plan.
Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting